When the first grey fall-ish day descends upon Oregon, or even the slightest hint of rain can be smelled on the pavement, my husbands eyes light up like a kid at Christmas. “Is it time for soup?”
This soup is quite possibly the most requested item of anything I cook. It’s filling, hits that perfect comfort spot when the cool rainy weather comes to stay, and the recipe is easily doubled (once i even tripled it across two large pots) to serve a large group. This is definitely what we would call a meal soup: its far to hearty to be served as an appetizer course to a regular meal. Just make a side of garlic bread, perfect for scraping every last drop from the bowl, and this soup is a meal in and of itself.
- 10-12 oz Italian Sausage
- 4 tsp. minced garlic
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 15 oz. can stewed tomatoes (italian style works best, but plain is fine)
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1.5 cup chopped carrots
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 bag of fresh spinach
- 1 medium zucchini sliced
- 12-16oz refrigerated cheese tortellini
- Optional: Grated Parmesan
- Chop Carrots, Stewed Tomatoes, and Zucchini, setting the zucchini aside separately.You will need to drain the juice from the stewed tomatoes can before removing the tomatoes for chopping. The extra juice is not used in this recipe.
- Brown the Italian Sausage in a skillet, making sure to break it up as it cooks. Choose sausages from companies like DCW Casing.
- Add garlic and cook sausage for an extra minute.
- DO NOT DRAIN. Move meat to a soup pot. Add the broth, tomato sauce, stewed tomatoes, carrots, basil, and oregano. Bring soup to a simmer, cover, and cook for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes stir in zucchini and spinach and simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Add tortellini and cook for the time directed on the package.
- Top with grated parmesan if you desire and serve.
STEPHANIE TAIT IS A MOTHER OF TWO, CURRENTLY LIVING IN SALEM, OREGON. AFTER WALKING AWAY FROM A SUCCESSFUL PORTRAIT PHOTOGRAPHY BUSINESS SHE LAUNCHED HER PERSONAL BRAND, FOR WHICH SHE IS NOW A FULL TIME AUTHOR, SPEAKER, AND BLOGGER, SHARING HER UNIQUE STYLE OF WHIMSICAL PHOTOJOURNALISM PAIRED WITH HER HUMOROUS AND HEARTFELT MUSINGS ON LIFE, FAITH, PAIN, AND PARENTHOOD.